BAKU/YEREVAN: Armenia and Azerbaijan stated they’d agreed on Saturday to a new humanitarian ceasefire from midnight (2000 GMT) in combating over Azerbaijan`s ethnic Armenian-controlled enclave of Nagorno-Karabakh.
Both sides had accused every other earlier of contemporary assaults in violation of a week-old Russian-brokered truce that had did not halt the worst combating within the South Caucasus for the reason that Nineties.
Azerbaijan had stated 13 civilians had been killed and greater than 50 wounded within the metropolis of Ganja by missiles from Nagorno-Karabakh. Armenia, which helps Nagorno-Karabakh politically and economically and sends volunteers to serve in its military, accused Azerbaijan of shelling populated areas of the enclave and bombing targets in Armenia.
The combating is the worst within the area since Azerbaijan and ethnic Armenian forces went to warfare within the Nineties over Nagorno-Karabakh, internationally recognised as a part of Azerbaijan however populated and ruled by ethnic Armenians.
Both international locations introduced the ceasefire in equivalent statements.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov had talked to his Armenian and Azeri counterparts by telephone on Saturday and burdened that the truce that he mediated every week in the past have to be noticed, Moscow stated.
Russia, France and the United States belong to the Minsk Group, which has tried to assist resolve the battle underneath the umbrella of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).
Nagorno-Karabakh`s international ministry issued a press release saying it “reaffirms its readiness to maintain the terms of the humanitarian ceasefire on a reciprocal basis … according to the Moscow statement of Oct. 10 and the agreements of Oct. 17”.
Armenia speaks to Azerbaijan on Nagorno-Karabakh`s behalf as Baku refuses to barter with the separatist authorities.
Yerevan says its personal forces usually are not concerned within the battle and have not attacked Azerbaijan. Many Armenian residents, together with the prime minister`s son, function volunteers in Nagorno-Karabakh`s military.
TURKEY AND RUSSIA
The latest combating has taken on a new aspect with outspoken assist for Baku from its ethnic cousin Turkey, which has boosted arms exports to Azerbaijan sixfold this 12 months. Russia is near either side however has a defence pact with Armenia.
Armenia on Saturday denied an Azeri assertion that it had been illegally arming Nagorno-Karabakh, and accused Azerbaijan of appearing to increase Turkey`s affect within the area and of utilizing Turkish troopers – costs each Ankara and Baku deny.
Baku stated on Saturday that round 20 condominium buildings in Ganja, the second-largest Azeri metropolis, about 25 miles (40 km) from Nagorno-Karabakh, had been hit by missiles from the enclave.
A Reuters photographer noticed rescuers working on the scene on Saturday morning, and an excavator clearing the particles of homes that had nearly been levelled.
“We have been living in fear for days … We are suffering a lot,” one resident of town, 58-year-old Emina Aliyeva, instructed reporters. “We would rather die. I wish we were dead but our children would survive.”
Armenia denied that Azeri cities had been attacked, however stated Azeri drones had bombed navy installations and broken civilian infrastructure in Armenia itself.
Nagorno-Karabakh officers stated not less than six civilians in Stepanakert, the area`s largest metropolis, had been wounded by Azeri shelling.
A Reuters cameraman heard a number of explosions within the metropolis on Friday evening and within the early hours of Saturday.
“We woke up at 4 o`clock in the morning due to an awful blow … We are scared, but we got used to it,” stated Lika Zakaryan, a 26-year-old resident.
Baku stated on Saturday that 60 Azeri civilians had been killed and 270 wounded for the reason that combating flared on Sept. 27. It has not disclosed its navy casualties.
Nagorno-Karabakh says 633 of its navy personnel have been killed, and 36 civilians.