The Election Commission of India (ECI) has revised pointers regarding star campaigners for all ongoing and future polls, bypolls in view of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Union Home Minister Amit Shah, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, former Congress president Rahul Gandhi and Maharashtra chief minister Uddhav Thackeray’s names have been given as star campaigners for his or her respective social gathering within the state meeting elections.
Concerned over massive gatherings throughout campaigning for the upcoming Bihar meeting elections and bypolls in a number of states amid the coronavirus pandemic, the Election Commission of India (ECI) revised the norms regarding star campaigners for all ongoing and future elections in the course of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Norms said in a letter to Chief Electoral Officers of all States/Union Territories:
1. The most restrict on the variety of star campaigners for recognised National/State political events shall be 30 as an alternative of 40.
2. For unrecognised registered political events, the restrict shall be 15 as an alternative of 20.
3. The interval of submission of the checklist of star campaigners has been prolonged from 7 days to 10 days from the date of notification.
4. Political events, which have already submitted a listing of star campaigners shall resubmit a revised checklist throughout the stipulated interval.
5. Request for permission for the campaigning by star campaigners shall be submitted to the district election authorities a minimum of 48 hours earlier than the beginning of the marketing campaign so that all vital security measures are put in place by all involved stakeholders properly in time.
“You are directed to undertake wide publicity through media and inform all National/State/ other registered political parties. These revised norms shall come into effect immediately,” the ECI mentioned.
Elections to the 243-seat Bihar meeting will be held in three phases–October 28, November 3, and seven, and the counting of votes will happen on November 10.
Various bypolls to vacant meeting seats throughout states will happen on November 3 and seven.